There are openings for reporters on the Long Island desk to cover town beats. Candidates must have demonstrated ability to break news, file quickly and accurately for all our platforms, meet tight deadlines, juggle more than one story at a time, cultivate sources, understand the importance of data-driven reporting and produce high-profile enterprise stories.
The ideal candidates are self-starters who can bring a creative approach to covering the news, are comfortable using social media and smartphone photo and video to report and tell stories. An ability to write in an engaging manner is essential.
- Ability to find fresh story angles and write concise, lively copy in keeping with Newsday's tone and format. Experience covering breaking news on deadline is a plus.
- Be proficient shooting IPhone photos and videos.
- Have strong organization and time management skills, including the ability to prioritize and multi-task while working on multiple assignments. Details are a crucial part of the job.
- Be flexible with scheduling—some night and weekend assignments are required.
- Work well as a member of a team.
- This job requires a valid driver’s license and car. Bachelor's degree in journalism or equivalent.
- Please send a cover letter, resume and 5 samples of your work.
Newsday Media Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains a drug-free and smoke-free workplace.
Location/Region: Melville, NY