The Consumer Advice team at U.S. News & World Report seeks an experienced, full-time reporter based in our Washington, D.C., office who will be responsible for writing content for the Education section. The beat will be focused on colleges, aimed at an audience of prospective students and their parents seeking help with researching and applying to undergraduate programs. This consumer-focused position does not involve breaking news coverage or reporting on education policy.
In this role, the reporter will write multiple online pieces a week – including reported stories, slideshows and data-driven content – using our internal content management system. This individual will work closely with a talented team of in-house editors, reporters and digital producers.
Our online articles, typically between 800-1,100 words, explore education trends, dispel myths and contain actionable advice for readers looking to make informed choices about higher education. See example coverage here. As part of the colleges beat, the reporter will also write content aimed at prospective international students interested in studying in the U.S. In addition, this individual will contribute content to supplement the online launches of U.S. News’ hallmark rankings, including Best Colleges.
The ideal candidate will have a background in covering higher education, with preference given to those with experience writing for the web on topics related to college admissions. Excellent writing and editing skills, along with experience working with data and social media networks, are musts.
- Proven writing and editing skills, with a minimum of three years of online reporting experience.
- Keen interest in and knowledge of U.S. higher education.
- High comfort level working with data.
- Ability to multitask and work on deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of SEO best practices and online analytics reporting.
- Experience with content management systems.
- Expertise using AP style.
- Willingness to contribute as needed as a member of a small team.
- College degree or equivalent.
Applicants must provide two relevant writing clips in addition to a resume and cover letter.
We offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package that includes health care, dental, vision and a 401(k) plan.