Voice of San Diego seeks an experienced journalist with strong social media and technological skills and a proven track record expanding readership and audience engagement to be its Engagement Editor. This role is responsible for producing and overseeing the production of content that extends the reach of VOSD and its stories through social media, podcasts, and other engagement technologies. This role serves as a VOSD representative at community events.
Launched in 2005, Voice of San Diego was the first digital nonprofit news organization to serve a local community. Its founders, longtime columnist and editor Neil Morgan and entrepreneur Buzz Woolley, felt the region desperately needed more reporting and journalistic competition. VOSD made a name nationally with hard-hitting investigative reports and by creating a new business model for supporting that kind of journalism that hundreds of others have borrowed from across the country. It's based on civic engagement and opportunities for San Diego residents to discuss and debate the issues that impact their quality of life. As a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, we are fully funded by individual members, major charitable gifts, foundations and community partnerships.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Write articles and newsletters. Manage newsletters and create new ones as appropriate.
- Package stories and promote to target audiences.
- Conduct fact checks. Serve as reader’s guide.
- Coordinate efforts between operations and editorial teams on events, social media, and fundraising campaigns.
- Coordinate daily SEO and engagement tasks with digital manager. Evaluate SEO practices and recommend actions to editorial team.
- Manage platforms like Hearken, Groundsource and other audience engagement tools.
- Produce on demand podcasts and other features.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements following this paragraph are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in similar position (audience engagement, web editor)
- Extensive knowledge of social media platforms (LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, Instagram)
- Proven understanding of best practices for social marketing and community management and development
- Experience working with WordPress, Google Analytics, and SEO.
- A working knowledge of various digital media formats (images, video)
- Strong communication skills
- Energy, enthusiasm and the ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines and demanding targets
- Self-starter with strong project management skills.
- Ability to adapt to change and competing priorities.
Location/Region: San Diego, CA (US - 92101)