SPLC is seeking a Senior Data Reporter to lead large-scale data collection and analysis projects to inform investigative reporting on the radical right. The ideal candidate will have deep experience creating compelling data-driven investigative reporting. The Senior Data Reporter will help lead the data analysis planning and reporting for both existing data sets as well as for collecting new data sets.
Primary Job Functions:
- Working in close partnership with our research and investigations teams, plan and execute quantitative analyses — and interpret results — for short- and long-form stories and visualizations;
- Make phone calls, conduct interviews and do on-the-ground reporting;
- Assist fellow reporters with data brainstorming, acquisition, data cleaning, integrity-checking and analysis;
- Bulletproof and spot-check data work done by other journalists on the team and in the newsroom;
- Assist researchers and developers in collecting data, including FOIA'ing for it, scraping it, cleaning it, analyzing it, and preparing it for publication;
- Teach and encourage best practices and newsroom data policies;
- Utilize sources, documents, computer-assisted reporting, and other journalistic tools to develop, report, write and produce exclusive accountability stories and investigative projects;
- Compile documentation to facilitate ease of fact checking.
Education andRelated WorkExperience:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or a quantitative field (statistics, economics) required;
- 5-7 years of investigative journalism experience with demonstrated results;
- Experience working on data projects in a newsroom or experience doing statistical or data-scientific analysis, either in academia or in another research setting;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, solid editorial judgment, and the ability to write quickly and cleanly;
- A solid understanding of the tools of data analysis, such as database management systems (MongoDB or SQL Server), statistics software (R, Python/pandas), Microsoft Excel, etc;
- Have a track record of using data to drive investigative and enterprise reporting, with a commitment to uncompromising accuracy;
- Familiarity with online platforms and best social media practices;
- Commitment to develop and maintain sources;
- Not for profit experience is preferred but not essential.
Knowledge, skillsand abilities:
- Creative thinking and problem-solving skills;
- Excellent research, writing and reporting skills;
- Expertise in the radical right;
- Strong ability to build trust and credibility with stakeholders across lines of difference;
- Proven ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to meet deadlines, take initiative, receive constructive feedback, and work autonomously;
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines;
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to manage multiple competing tasks and demands on deadline;
- Must be a team player;
- Commitment to the mission of the SPLC.
Other Special Considerations:
This job is performed under general office conditions and is not subject to any strenuous physical demands or dangerous conditions.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. These statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
An Equal-Opportunity Employer with a Commitment to Diversity
Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and as an organization committed to diversity and the perspective of all voices, we consider applicants equally of race, gender, gender identity, color, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, disability, political affiliation, national origin, or prior record of arrest or conviction.
Location/Region: Atlanta, GA