Local Independent Online News Publishers (LION)
Executive Director Job Posting
LION launched in 2012 to serve the growing ranks of news entrepreneurs seeking to populate local news deserts throughout the United States. Established as a nonprofit organization, LION now has more than 240 members. Our mission is to provide education, training, consulting, networking and resources to our members and to entrepreneurial local news organizations.
We accomplish this by:
● Identifying best practices, tools, revenue and audience engagement ideas that help our members grow and become sustainable.
● Offering coaching, mentoring and networking that build capacity for local news startups to grow and be viable.
● Establishing partnerships and alliances that serve our mission.
● Promoting quality journalism in local communities.
● Securing philanthropic support to expand news and operational capacities of our members.
● Developing databases and resources that serve our members’ needs.
RELATIONSHIP: This grant-funded position reports to LION’s Board of Directors.
RESPONSIBILITIES: LION’s Executive Director will have overall responsibility for all aspects of LION’s operations, including establishing a new operational infrastructure to serve a growing organization.
The Executive Director’s primary responsibilities include:
● Developing, expanding and servicing LION’s network of local news organization leaders..
● Developing earned revenue and grant opportunities that will support LION and its mission of helping members create sustainable, quality local journalism.
● Increasing LION’s visibility and become its public face and primary voice.
Other responsibilities include:
● Developing, with board approval, annual operating budgets and regular financial reports for the board.
● Establishing, with contractors or consultants, more advanced financial protocols to increase LION’s efficiency in tracking spending and developing grant reports.
● Recruiting, with staff or consultants, new members that meet LION’s eligibility guidelines and managing existing memberships.
● Creating a searchable database of LION members and other local media entrepreneurs.
● Developing programs that meet differing member needs, from new startups to established sites.
● Recruiting new LION staff members, as needed and approved by the board.
● Establishing relationships with prospective funders and, with board input, pursuing opportunities for operating and program grants.
● Identifying and tracking metrics to report on LION’s operating and programmatic grants.
● Keeping all grant deliverables and reports on track.
● Managing with staff or consultants, LION’s annual conference and regional training events, including supervising logistics, speakers, vendors and sponsors.
● Managing LION outreach, with staff or consultants, on its social media channels and website.
● Identifying and developing earned income opportunities for LION.
● Promoting an organizational culture of cooperation, innovation, diversity, creativity and fairness.
● Celebrating LION’s successes.
● Five years experiences in nonprofit or executive leadership, with proven abilities in management, team building, fundraising, sales and public speaking.
● A deep understanding of the digital media landscape and the growing opportunities to provide local news in communities that have lost it.
● Experience in creating and delivering on fundraising strategies and online revenue streams.
● Experience in developing educational programs.
● Experience in growing visibility and success for a brand.
● Experience developing a strong communications channel with a governing board of directors.
EDUCATION: An undergraduate degree or commensurate experience is required.
COMPENSATION: Commensurate with experience.
TO APPLY: Please email, under the heading “LION SEARCH: [your name]”, your cover letter, a list of references and resume to:
DEADLINE TO APPLY: Monday, Dec. 10, 2018