Milwaukee PBS is looking for a multimedia producer/journalist adept with new digital technology, social media and possesses, at the core, a strong commitment to journalism that exemplifies what public media does best. You appreciate the difference strong stories can make to viewers and readers and you want to explore the issues that focus on residents of southeastern Wisconsin. We strive to tell stories that not only touch the heart and soul of our views but better their lives too.
The ideal candidate is someone who upholds the highest journalistic standards, communicates well with others and likes to have fun at work. You're a team player and deliver on the requirements, goals and quality expected in this position. You have demonstrable experience (in editing, writing, and visual storytelling for broadcast.), possess strong communication skills and understand current technology used in both multimedia and broadcast storytelling.
Under the direction of Manager of Production, the Multimedia Journalist creates content and programming focusing on the people, places, and issues important to southeastern Wisconsin and upholds the highest journalistic standards, communicates well with others and likes to have fun at work.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Contributes to a number of local programs, with the main focus on Milwaukee PBS' newsmagazine series 10thirtysix, a half hour program covering news and human interest stories per episode.
- Works closely with production teams to conceive, book and produce segments for broadcast shows as well as packages content to post to social media.
- Pitches story ideas, pre-interview potential guests, and research show topics.
- Identifies voices and views atypical for public broadcasting and develops specific topics of coverage, series and signature segments.
- Keeps up-to-date on news, arts, culture and other local and regional issues, demonstrating an interest in the people and ideas shaping the region.
- Demonstrates sound news judgment, the highest journalistic ethics and an understanding of the sound and role of public media.
- Develops audiences using Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and other social media.
- May be asked to participate as pledge talent during fund drives or assist in the control room during these fundraising events.
- Participates in marketing activities, community engagement projects and other audience interactions as assigned on behalf of Milwaukee PBS, including interacting with audiences on our social media platforms.
- Bachelor's degree required or any equivalent combination of experience and training that provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Must be flexible, well organized, and willing to work long hours and/or irregular hours under the pressures of deadlines. May be required to have overnight travel.
- Ability to enterprise informative stories on a range of topics.
- Demonstrated reporting and writing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to pitch timely, diverse and relevant story ideas.
- Skilled with social media including (but not limited to) Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Google+, Pinterest, Instagram and Tumblr and knowledge of social media best practices.
- Thorough understanding of use of web and social media platforms to tell stories and find them
- Grasp of digital storytelling tools (i.e. cameras, editing, software)
- Ability to meet strict broadcast deadlines.
- Ability to work accurately with strict attention to detail.
- Skilled in using audio recording equipment and digital cameras and editing software, Avid preferred.
- Skilled at adding multimedia content to websites using web content standards.
- Ability to connect local, regional and national current events and issues in ways that are relevant to the audience.
- Ability to write clearly and concisely for broadcast and web.
- Familiarity with libel rules, social media policies and best practices.
- Ability to learn and comply with FCC rules, emergency alert system requirements, and severe weather coverage policies.
- Work examples for review either online (URL or website links) or demo DVDs
- Ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse educational and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Ability to work independently on multiple projects, meet deadlines, and coordinate activities to achieve project goals and objectives.