For immediate hire (application deadline March 10):
The Tow Center for Digital Journalism, a research center based at Columbia University's Graduate School of Journalism, is seeking a Program Assistant to support the work of the director and the Center, including responsibility for finance processing, outreach, marketing, operations and other activities as needed.
- Finance processing, including but not limited to: accounts reconciliation; database entry and generating reports; reviewing, approval of payments and expenses; issuing, receiving and processing invoices; audit assistance; manage relationships with vendors and conduct basic procurement. Will provide regular reports to management, often providing detailed analysis. Will, on occasion, present these reports to a group.
- Act as a key player for any HR-related tasks, issues and personnel changes and will work closely with School of Journalism Human Resources as well as central University Human Resources
- Partner with and act as a resource to the Center's Director by reading, researching, and routing correspondence; Drafting letters and documents; Collecting and analyzing information; - Managing expenses; And initiating telecommunications; manages the Director's schedule and interfaces with the Director's colleagues in the Director's absence.
- Event planning and coordination, including coordination of logistics, multimedia, invitation, copy and promotion
- Communications and outreach support on web, social media, newsletter, etc; incumbent will be the author of much of this communication and will be responsible for publishing material onto the Tow Center's website, onto social media, etc..
- Supporting Tow programs and project with additional tasks as needed
This is a one-year temporary position, renewable for up to a second year, based on performance and the availability of continued funding.
- Bachelor's Degree and/or its equivalent required.
- Minimum 2 years related work experience, or the equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Excellent organization and administration skills; detail oriented; organized team player; ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple deadlines with professionalism and discretion; experience with communications, event & outreach, and university administration preferred
- Familiarity with university administration and experience providing executive support a strong plus
NOTE: We are only able to review complete applications submitted on Columbia University’s employment website, so please apply at
Questions can be directed to the contact email found at towcenter.org.