Position: Ohio Statehouse Reporter
Are you an obsessive reporter who hangs on every detail of what happens in a statehouse and state capital? Do you fixate on not only what goes in inside the committee rooms but what government leaders are doing when they are not working? Who do they meet? Where do they dine? Who is rubbing shoulders with whom? How would you like own coverage of the statehouse for the biggest news platform in one of the nation’s most pivotal political states? At Advance Ohio, we’re looking for a reporter to help develop a statehouse-based newsletter that tracks everything that happens in Columbus, Ohio – a newsletter that becomes a must-read for every legislator, lobbyist, business exec and anyone else touched by the sometimes wacky bills that emerge from behind closed doors. You’ll be based in Columbus and work on a large team that is redesigning political coverage in the age of Trump. This is a key role for covering Ohio’s critical 2018 elections, when the governor, attorney general, secretary of state, auditor and treasurer will be elected, along with a U.S. senator. Join us now, and you’re on the ground floor in the run-up to the 2020 presidential election. You’ll be counted on to help maintain our role as the number one source of politics news in a state that is watched from across the nation. We need someone with a proven ability to cultivate sources and offer concise, accessible content.
• Bachelor’s degree
• Five years of reporting experience involving politics, government, business or other areas demanding source building and sifting through complicated topics to produce engaging content.
• A clear identity in social media and a comfort with a camera.
• A history of clean, thoughtful writing and the ability to produce content quickly and on deadline.
• Be the politics team leader in developing and producing a Columbus-based newsletter, with news, insights and a bit of gossip.
• Build a statewide source network.
• Process complicated ideas and distill them into short, clearly expressed blocks of text.
• Monitor multiple social media channels simultaneously to spot emerging and developing news.
Note: this description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities. Auto req ID 1056BR State Ohio Home Posting Site Cleveland.com Location Advance Ohio Job Category Content