Knight Foundation is seeking a creative change maker to join the Journalism Program team. We want to hear from candidates with traditional or non-traditional journalism and media backgrounds to join the Program’s efforts to innovate journalism excellence and help transform local news organizations to meet the demands of the digital age.
Reporting to the Vice President/Journalism and working with a team, the director will collaborate to identify, select and manage grant portfolios that have transformational potential by exploring new forms, tools and ways for journalists to engage and inform communities.
- Identify and invest in entrepreneurial leaders in journalism, across many platforms.
- Identify and invest in innovative ideas that will lead to better informed communities.
- Work with the team to develop field-advancing grant strategies and a diverse network of relationships to assist you with driving change and adoption of digital technology;
- Contribute thought leadership;
- Work with Knight’s learning team to measure the impact of initiatives, inform strategy and improve programs.
- Represent Knight Foundation in local and national forums.
- Profound commitment to First Amendment principles and journalistic excellence
- Openness to ideas
- Ability to identify talent
- Appreciation of local news reporting
- Ability to work collaboratively to develop creative solutions
- Entrepreneurial drive, curiosity and networking savvy
- Leadership in journalism organizations
- Leadership of digitally based news initiatives
- Demonstrated track record of innovation
- Experience with local news reporting
- Sophistication with digital media or video
Knight Foundation continues the work of John S. and James L. Knight, two brothers who founded a company that became one of the dominant newspaper chains in the United States. While that firm no longer exists, the brothers’ principles still guide their independent foundation. We support transformational ideas that promote quality journalism, advance media innovation, engage communities and foster the arts. We believe that democracy thrives when people and communities are informed and engaged.
The essential elements for this work are: belief in a vision, courage to push for change, willingness to explore new ideas, expertise to accomplish the work and tenacity to reach the desired results. If you share this passion, we want to hear from you. Tell us what excites you about this opportunity and why you are right for it.
Send your resume to:
Knight Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.
No telephone calls, please.
About this company
Knight Foundation is a national foundation with strong local roots. We invest in journalism, in the arts, and in the success of cities where brothers John S. and James L. Knight once published newspapers. Our goal is to foster informed and engaged communities, which we believe are essential for a healthy democracy.