As a newspaper professional, this is an opportunity to lead a team that is committed to excellence in journalism through service and leadership in the community. The Independent, based in Marshall, Minnesota, is seeking an experienced newspaper professional who will serve our community, our readers and our advertisers.
The Publisher will be responsible for helping motivate employees and develop the skills necessary to excel in the industry. We are looking for a candidate who is positive, outgoing, self-motivated and detail-oriented. This is a unique opportunity to join our team and to continue to uphold our values of excellence and service.
The Independent is an award winning daily newspaper covering local news, sports, business, jobs and community events. The newspaper is published Monday through Saturday covering Marshall and the surrounding communities in Lyon County, Minnesota with a circulation of 6,000 copies. Marshall, nestled along the Redwood River on gorgeous prairie land, has over 150 acres of parks in the city and is home to South Minnesota State University. This community is now home to around 13,600 residents.
The Independent is proud to be a part of The Ogden Newspapers which publishes 43 daily newspapers in 14 states.
The company has continued to invest in newspapers and is committed to excellence in local journalism and to delivering value to our readers and advertisers.
We keep all of our readers, both print and digital, well informed and engaged. Our multiple products deliver results for our advertisers and our customers.
Our rich heritage of newspapering, combined with a company-wide commitment to excellence in community journalism, position us to grow and florish for decades to come.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Oversee all newspaper operations with a focus on culture, advertising and circulation sales, marketing, financial management, and a strong appreciation for high journalistic standards.
- Manage P&L to ensure financial growth and effective expense management with ultimate responsibility for the financial health of the operation.
- Ensuring that all sales and service goals are met.
- Enhance the newspaper's presence in the community.
- Direct the advertising and sales department.
- Direct the online initiatives for the newspaper.
- Ensure both advertiser and subscriber needs are met at very high levels.
- Develop and execute strategies across multiple platforms to maximize sales.
- Lead process for talent acquisition to recruit and retain high quality employees with an opportunity to grow within the company
- Significant relevant work experience.
- Ability to work efficiently and maintain a high level of productivity and quality both independently and as part of a team; communicate regularly; balance multiple priorities; and meet deadlines in a fast-paced, team-focused environment.
- Strong written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent customer service and sales skills.
- The ability to lead and direct others to achieve or exceed organizational goals in an efficient and effective manner.