U.S. News & World Report is looking for a full stack Software Developer with an interest in building dynamic, data-driven products to join a growing developer team for one of the globe’s most trusted brands. For 80 years, U.S. News & World Report has built a strong and profitable business by providing research and ratings that help individuals and families make important life decisions. While the platform has evolved, what hasn’t changed is our commitment to providing our readers with the highest quality products.
The developers at U.S. News have a great deal of independence and a minimum of overhead. You'll get to experiment with interesting technology and see your work enter production regularly.
The key things we’re looking for in a new hire are excellent problem solving abilities as well as the technical skills to work with relational databases such as PostgreSQL, write legible code, familiarity with languages such as Python or Java, and strong oral and written communication skills.
We have a diverse environment, with Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X machines living side-by-side. The majority of our work is in developing and maintaining applications on Python web frameworks, specifically Pyramid, although we also maintain some applications in Java.
Our applications support just about every aspect of company operations, including content management for the usnews.com website, iPad/tablet apps, data ranking products such as Best Colleges/Grad schools and Best Hospitals, and other business applications. Developers typically see applications through from beginning to end, working directly with project owners to gather business requirements, front-end engineers to make sure the UI is functional and fast, and the systems team to ensure stress-free deployments.
We offer a casual work environment. Our offices are in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, D.C.
- Applicants should be familiar with:
- Relational databases, such as PostgreSQL, Oracle, MySQL, or MS SQL Server.
- Dynamic languages, such as Python, Perl, or Ruby.
- Unix-based operating systems, such as Linux or Mac OS X, along with the shells and command-line tools available in those environments.
- Applicants should have strong oral and written communications skills.
- A 4-year degree is a plus.
- Experience with Python web frameworks, such as Django or Pyramid is a plus.
- Experience with source control systems, such as Git or Subversion, is a plus.
- Experience developing against and/or creating JSON based APIs is a plus.
- AJAX experience is a plus.
Applicants must submit a resume to be considered, a cover letter is appreciated.
We are offering a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package that includes healthcare, dental, and 401(k) plan.