APM Reports' groundbreaking investigative podcast, In the Dark, is hiring an Associate Producer. We're looking for someone who can work well on a small team, is extremely self-motivated, has good ideas and isn't afraid to share them, and loves audio storytelling and thinks about it in an interesting way. The Associate Producer will help us report and produce podcast, radio, and web content for In the Dark. That could include scouting stories, conducting research and pre-interviews, logging tape, tracking down and digitizing archival materials, compiling and managing a music library for In the Dark, and other tasks. This is a position that can grow to meet your ambitions and abilities.
Pay range: $18.85-$23.58 Hourly
Application deadline: May 22, 2017
- Conducts library, archives, and Internet research; collect and digitize archival tape
- Conducts research to support current stories and helps pitch and develop future stories
- Contributes ideas about story structure and production
- Helps compile a music library for use in podcast
- Helps brainstorm and execute ideas about additional digital and podcast content
- Assists with studio operation and field recording as needed
- Secures permission to license audio material
- Logs tape of interviews
- Performs various administrative tasks, including booking studios and field producers
- Other duties as assigned
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree
- 3 or more years of relevant work experience or internship in journalism or audio production
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Candidate should have experience using audio editing software, preferably Pro Tools
- Candidate must be highly organized and able to meet deadlines consistently, and communicate clearly with supervisors.
- Candidate must have strong research skills and the ability to think creatively about how to dig up archival materials, find sources, and track down data.
- Keen ear and ability to think creatively about audio
- Ability to write well and work independently.
- Demonstrated interest in and familiarity with podcasts.
- Ability to manage time and task load independently.
- Ability to learn new computer programs quickly.
- Candidate must be able to type and work on PC-based programs like Windows XP, Word and Excel, and must possess general computer skills, including Internet research.
- Other duties as assigned.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Demonstrated journalism, radio, news writing, multimedia and/or podcasting experience.
- Documentary and/or long-form project experience.
- Basic Pro Tools knowledge.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Required to move about in the community
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
About this company
We are American Public Media Group (APMG), the parent organization of a large, dynamic group of not-for-profit broadcasting entities:
American Public Media™, one of the largest producers and distributors of public radio shows and podcasts in the world. APM’s portfolio includes A Prairie Home Companion®, The Splendid Table®, The Dinner Party Download®, Performance Today®, BBC World Service, and Brains On!®
Minnesota Public Radio®, a 45-station regional radio network that brings news, classical music and AAA-format rock to Minnesota and parts of North and South Dakota, Iowa and Wisconsin.
Southern California Public Radio™, a group of news and information stations based in Pasadena and serving Los Angeles and the Inland Empire.
Marketplace®, a portfolio of radio programs and podcasts about economics and finance that includes Marketplace®, Marketplace Weekend™, Marketplace Tech®, and Marketplace Morning Report®.
APM Reports, our investigative and documentary unit, and the creator of the acclaimed podcast series In the Dark.
The Fitzgerald® Theater, an 880-seat theater that is home to many APM productions, including A Prairie Home Companion®.