APM Reports' groundbreaking investigative podcast, In the Dark, is hiring a reporter/researcher. We're looking for a dogged and persistent reporter/researcher who is extremely self-motivated and can work well on a small team. The journalist will collaborate with other reporters and producers on the team to report for the web, the radio, and the podcast. S/he will write public records requests to gather data and documents, conduct background research into institutions and individuals, and help scout story ideas. We don't need you to have broadcast experience, but you should feel comfortable with the possibility of being recorded in studio for possible use on the podcast. The journalist at times also will work on other APM Reports investigations.
Pay range: $23.65 - $25.24 hourly
Application deadline: May 22, 2017
- Hunts, retrieves public documents
- Conducts information searches using any number of web tools
- Performs other reporting and conducts interviews as needed
- Writes stories for our website as needed
- Helps scout future stories
- Assists with backgrounding people and institutions and fact checking
- Debriefs with reporters and producers on findings
- Helps brainstorm and execute ideas about additional digital and podcast content
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
- 2+ years of relevant work experience in journalism.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Candidate must be highly organized and able to meet deadlines consistently, and communicate clearly with supervisors.
- Candidate must have strong research skills and the ability to think creatively about how to dig up archival materials, find sources, and track down data.
- Ability to manage time and task load independently.
- Candidate must be able to type and work on PC-based programs like Windows XP, Word and Excel, and must possess general computer skills, including Internet research.
- Ability and desire to learn new technology and adapt as needed.
- Strong collaboration skills and a great team player.
- Excellent reporting and writing skills.
- Superior critical thinking ability.
- Reliable news judgment and ethical compass.
- Ability to think creatively about web content.
- Knowledge of the principles of various open records laws.
- Ability to work on a broad variety of complex assignments.
- Ability to execute assignments to demanding standards and deadlines.
- Ability to represent best APM Reports standards in course of reporting and interviewing.
- Basic knowledge of national issues, and ability to quickly learn about regional issues.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience with or willingness to learn how to use audio production and editing equipment
Reporting To This Position: None
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Required to move about in the community
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
About this company
We are American Public Media Group (APMG), the parent organization of a large, dynamic group of not-for-profit broadcasting entities:
American Public Media™, one of the largest producers and distributors of public radio shows and podcasts in the world. APM’s portfolio includes A Prairie Home Companion®, The Splendid Table®, The Dinner Party Download®, Performance Today®, BBC World Service, and Brains On!®
Minnesota Public Radio®, a 45-station regional radio network that brings news, classical music and AAA-format rock to Minnesota and parts of North and South Dakota, Iowa and Wisconsin.
Southern California Public Radio™, a group of news and information stations based in Pasadena and serving Los Angeles and the Inland Empire.
Marketplace®, a portfolio of radio programs and podcasts about economics and finance that includes Marketplace®, Marketplace Weekend™, Marketplace Tech®, and Marketplace Morning Report®.
APM Reports, our investigative and documentary unit, and the creator of the acclaimed podcast series In the Dark.
The Fitzgerald® Theater, an 880-seat theater that is home to many APM productions, including A Prairie Home Companion®.