Position: EXECUTIVE PRODUCER, Creative Production Unit
Classification: Full time, Exempt
Reports to: Director, Content Innovation and Audience Development
New Hampshire Public Radio seeks an Executive Producer to lead our Creative Production Unit, a multi-media production team that creates and distributes NHPR original programming and on-demand content. The Executive Producer serves as the team’s editorial and project leader, and will play a key role in shaping the sound of NHPR as it expands its audience and roster of broadcast and on-demand content.
We are New Hampshire’s independent and trusted source for news and information, and the state’s largest radio news service. Based in Concord, the state’s capital and political hub, NHPR’s newsroom, digital team, and original programs consistently earn national recognition for their in-depth reporting and production. NHPR is the winner of the 2015 national Edward R. Murrow Award for overall excellence.
Meet NHPR’s Creative Production Unit
NHPR’s Creative Production Unit (CPU) is the place where innovative ideas percolate, emerging trends flourish, audiences engage, and great audio and journalism meet. The 8-person team of audio and digital producers and hosts work together to produce NHPR’s local programs Word of Mouth and Outside/In, as well as the podcasts Civics 101 and 10-Minute Writer’s Workshop. The CPU is an editorial, production, and digital resource for NHPR’s newsroom and content makers, and supports special series and events for the station.
About the job
The Executive Producer oversees production standards and best practices, and provides hands-on editorial guidance and leadership to NHPR’s Creative Production Unit. The Executive Producer handles daily and long-term planning, and works closely with the Director of Content Innovation and Audience Development to help shape and maintain the overall editorial strategy and vision for the CPU. As the Executive Producer, you will join the team at an exciting moment of transition for the station and the industry, and will have an opportunity to make a significant mark on NHPR as it develops new programs and future audiences.
What you’ll do
While there are core responsibilities, managing the production of multiple shows and podcasts while incubating new projects and leading a team of highly-creative producers means there is no typical day for the Executive Producer. You may spend one day immersed in editorial sessions for Outside/In, the next mapping out the production schedule for Civics 101, and the following helping a producer refine a pitch for Word of Mouth. It’s a position that requires organization and forward-thinking, but rewards flexibility and creativity.
Duties of the Executive Producer include:
- Working closely with the Director of Content Innovation and Audience Development to set editorial vision across all content production: on-demand, broadcast, digital, video, streaming, and anticipated future growth areas.
- Oversee the editorial process of each show: from pitch to final mix and digital presentation.
- Manage the short and long term production schedule of the CPU.
- Set goals for members of the CPU and provide professional mentorship and editorial guidance to producers and hosts.
- Help build and foster an environment of experimentation and creativity within the framework of the CPU’s resources.
- Collaborate with NHPR newsroom on shared content initiatives.
- Assist in forging partnerships and external relationships that broaden the reach and impact of the CPU.
- Ensure a diversity of voices, perspectives, and talent across CPU programs.
- Lead and supervise the production of new audio programs and series
- Align job responsibilities and staff skills to maximize effectiveness and professional growth.
- Contribute, as appropriate, to on-air fundraising and other fundraising activities
You have a keen editorial ear and know how to make great work extraordinary. You have an appreciation for engaging audio across a broad range of genres and topics, and understand what it takes to get there. You inspire ambition, enthusiasm, and creativity, and find satisfaction in supporting the work and development of your colleagues. You see opportunities and pitfalls long before they land, but are open to the unexpected. You are highly organized, and enjoy working on long and short term projects simultaneously. You love finding new ways to tell and share stories.
- 7+ years of relevant media experience
- 4+ years in editing or producing longform, non-linear, narrative pieces
- Experience with Adobe Audition, Hindenburg, ProTools or similar audio editing programs
- Experience managing and mentoring talent and producers
- Excellent editorial judgment
- Passion and intuition for audio production, a keen eye and ear for media trends and audience needs and wants
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to manage projects of varying scale and complexity simultaneously
- Strong interpersonal skills with a team orientation
- Creative and innovative thinker, willing to challenge, stretch and be a change agent in the evolution of the company
- Excellent writing skills
- Demonstrated ability with multi-platform content
- Knowledge of relevant FCC rules and regulations
NHPR is an equal opportunity employer
Please apply on the job opportunities page of our website or through this link: https://nhpr.applicantpro.com/jobs/