APM Reports, which produces national news investigations and documentaries, is hiring a reporter/researcher to begin the spade work for an investigation. No, we won't tell you what it's about, but we'll tell you enough to get you to apply. And if you're a finalist, we'll tell you all about it. Apply if you're a journalist who: has an interest or experience in medical research; is undaunted by an overwhelming number of documents and data; is comfortable navigating layers of complexity. You'll be starting at the beginning of a lengthy, unexamined story. It's not for everyone. We're looking for a dogged and persistent reporter/researcher who is insatiably curious. You may at times work collaboratively or be solo for long stretches. You'll write public records requests to gather data and documents, conduct background research into institutions and people, interview and help form the outline of an investigation. We don't need you to have broadcast experience, but you'll quickly need to learn how to interview and record in the field.
This is a temporary, grant-funded position lasting nine months.
Application deadline: July 31, 2017
- Originally report and conduct interviews as needed
- Hunt, request, retrieve public documents and research
- Conduct information searches using a variety of tools
- Background key people and institutions
- Create data bases and timelines
- Conduct fact checks
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
- Two years' work experience in journalism.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Candidate must be highly organized and able to meet deadlines consistently, and communicate clearly with supervisors.
- Candidate must have strong research skills and the ability to think creatively about how to dig up archival materials, find sources, and track down data.
- Ability to manage time and task load independently.
- Candidate must be able to type and work on PC-based programs like Windows XP, Word and Excel, and must possess general computer skills, including Internet research.
- Ability and desire to learn new technology and adapt as needed.
- Strong collaboration skills and a great team player.
- Excellent reporting and writing skills.
- Superior critical thinking ability.
- Reliable news judgment and ethical compass.
- Ability to think creatively about web content.
- Knowledge of the principles of various open records laws.
- Ability to work on a broad variety of complex assignments.
- Ability to execute assignments to demanding standards and deadlines.
- Ability to represent best APM Reports standards in course of reporting and interviewing.
- Basic knowledge of national issues, and ability to quickly learn about regional issues.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience reading SEC documents of public companies
- Experience with medical science reporting or research
- Experience with, or willingness to learn, how to use audio production and editing equipment
Reporting to This Position: None
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Required to move about in the community
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions
About this company
We are American Public Media Group (APMG), the parent organization of a large, dynamic group of not-for-profit broadcasting entities:
American Public Media™, one of the largest producers and distributors of public radio shows and podcasts in the world. APM’s portfolio includes A Prairie Home Companion®, The Splendid Table®, The Dinner Party Download®, Performance Today®, BBC World Service, and Brains On!®
Minnesota Public Radio®, a 45-station regional radio network that brings news, classical music and AAA-format rock to Minnesota and parts of North and South Dakota, Iowa and Wisconsin.
Southern California Public Radio™, a group of news and information stations based in Pasadena and serving Los Angeles and the Inland Empire.
Marketplace®, a portfolio of radio programs and podcasts about economics and finance that includes Marketplace®, Marketplace Weekend™, Marketplace Tech®, and Marketplace Morning Report®.
APM Reports, our investigative and documentary unit, and the creator of the acclaimed podcast series In the Dark.
The Fitzgerald® Theater, an 880-seat theater that is home to many APM productions, including A Prairie Home Companion®.