The senior editor/digital has broad responsibility over the creation, launch, development, maintenance and growth of all digital presentations for APM Reports, a reporting group within American Public Media that focuses on national news investigations and documentaries. This position requires a strong combination of digital and journalistic skills. It places an emphasis on discerning strong stories and on finding ways to tell them through text, photos, video, graphics, interactive elements and presentations that can attract readers on a variety of platforms. The person filling this role will have strong skills in working with reporters, photographers, graphic artists, web producers and data analysts to determine what is needed to bring a story to life digitally. This person needs strong editing skills, both for story focus and line editing. It is crucial for this person to know what visual, data and interactive features will enhance a story and tell it in new ways. The senior editor needs to work well in an audio news environment, understanding the demands of audio platforms, sometimes translating material from audio to digital platforms and always operating with the knowledge that a digital platform is distinct.
This job is part-time, 3 days per week. The salary range is $47,000 - $58,000 annually for a 3 days per week schedule.
The application deadline is August 1, 2017
- Edit investigative stories and documentary text, working with reporters to bring clarity and impact to APM Reports' digital presentation.
- Participate in story formation and planning sessions.
- Improve digital strategy and processes for producing and presenting investigative and documentary work on all digital platforms, working closely with a web producer to generate the most appealing, compelling, comprehensive and state-of-the-art story presentations possible and to manage and produce the website and related digital platforms.
- Oversee social media presence and philosophy for presenting, engaging and reporting the group's journalism.
- Work with producers, reporters, editors, visual journalists, designers and others to tell and present stories properly and accessibly in a digital space.
- Collaborate with partner news organizations to distribute and present the journalism, co-reported and/or original.
- Manage presentation partnerships on digital platforms. Work with reporters, editors and others involved in stories from the start to plan and tell the story in the most appropriate, useful manner.
- Lead hiring of new digital staff.
- Plan, direct visual assignments with photographers, designers, illustrators, videographers and other visual journalists.
- Work with data reporters to make sure projects use quantitative analysis to help determine what the story is and then to visualize information to enhance the audience's understanding of the story.
- Hire, supervise, train, and manage direct staff through providing work direction, constructive performance coaching, mentorship, performance meetings, and on-going feedback.
- Foster a creative and productive work environment. Create development opportunities and individualized development plans for staff and training to enhance skills and foster growth.
- Help plan growth around data and digital journalism.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent journalism experience.
- Seven years' experience in journalism, including experience at a national level, supervisory experience and editing.
- Minimum of five years' experience in reporting.
- Digital management experience.
- Experience in multimedia production.
- Accomplishment in growing audiences.
- Experience developing and implementing online content plans.
- Experience in planning and managing ambitious web projects and coordinating with the efforts of editing and reporting staff; tracking long-term project timelines and deliverables.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Excellent editing and writing ability.
- Strong editorial judgment with a commitment to accuracy, fairness and balance.
- Mastery of multimedia features, including text, audio, video and still images, either within online sites or for wireless media and downloadable audio, video or audio-visual broadcasts.
- Mastery of standard web production tools.
- Supervisory skills and ability to recruit, coach and develop talent.
- Ability to foster high standards and encourage creativity.
- Ability to work productively and in a collaborative manner in an environment where news is constantly changing and being updated.
- Ability to prioritize work and make resource decisions accordingly.
- Excellent coaching, communication and teamwork skills.
- Familiarity with and appreciation of public radio.
- Knowledge of the law and its application to a news service on the Internet.
Reporting to This Position:
- Web producer, digital reporter, contract staff, interns
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions
About this company
We are American Public Media Group (APMG), the parent organization of a large, dynamic group of not-for-profit broadcasting entities:
American Public Media™, one of the largest producers and distributors of public radio shows and podcasts in the world. APM’s portfolio includes A Prairie Home Companion®, The Splendid Table®, The Dinner Party Download®, Performance Today®, BBC World Service, and Brains On!®
Minnesota Public Radio®, a 45-station regional radio network that brings news, classical music and AAA-format rock to Minnesota and parts of North and South Dakota, Iowa and Wisconsin.
Southern California Public Radio™, a group of news and information stations based in Pasadena and serving Los Angeles and the Inland Empire.
Marketplace®, a portfolio of radio programs and podcasts about economics and finance that includes Marketplace®, Marketplace Weekend™, Marketplace Tech®, and Marketplace Morning Report®.
APM Reports, our investigative and documentary unit, and the creator of the acclaimed podcast series In the Dark.
The Fitzgerald® Theater, an 880-seat theater that is home to many APM productions, including A Prairie Home Companion®.