Director of Engagement
The Association of Health Care Journalists is seeking a dynamic and innovative leader to drive its engagement efforts and serve as chief daily operations officer. This includes editorial strategy, outreach efforts and staff management. This crucial member of the management team will help us maintain our standards of excellence while helping set a course for new achievements.
If you have been looking for an opportunity to take your journalism skills and experience into nonprofit and academic settings, this executive position might interest you.
Specifically, the Director of Engagement will:
- Work with staff to improve member experience by integrating membership data with our newsy and resource-packed website. While we have one of the deepest repositories of journalism how-to on the Web, HealthJournalism.org is also a daily news and communication site for health journalists - whether reporter, editor, prodcuer or news director. We are working to make it a daily home base for our members, from grabbing the latest story idea for localizing to updating their personal profiles and subscriptions.
- Assist with planning for national journalism conferences and workshops. Our training programs draw more than a thousand people every year interested in updating their knowledge of health and health care issues, as well as developing their own careers, and include conferences, workshops, fellowships and webinars.
- Take a lead role in planning marketing of training events and programs, as well as the association itself. Our outreach efforts consist of many moving parts and coordinating this mix of approaches is crucial.
- Work with a board committee on First Amendment advocacy issues. Through its Right to Know Committee, AHCJ advocates for openness and provides resources for members striving to shed light on complex topics.
- Work with staff to improve website, email and social media interaction with members and potential members, as well as event registrants and vendors.
- Assist in writing and editing of news-related copy, advocacy letters and outreach materials. We would like to be better at telling our own story and keeping members, funders and policy makers up to date on our progress.
- Work with staff and a board committee on our annual journalism awards program. The Awards for Excellence in Health Care Journalism recognize the best health reporting in print, broadcast and online media. Winning entries are used in educational efforts to improve the caliber of health care journalism.
- Work with management team to fully integrate association’s greater mission into the life of the university – at both the student and faculty level.
- Take lead role in daily personnel matters, especially coaching and accountability.
The Association of Health Care Journalists is an independent, nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing public understanding of health care issues. With about 1,500 members across the United States and around the globe, its mission is to improve the quality, accuracy and visibility of health care reporting, writing and editing. The association and its Center for Excellence in Health Care Journalism provide training, resources and a professional home for journalists. The association and center are based at the Missouri School of Journalism.
Columbia, Mo., is known as an ideal college town, combining small-town comforts, community spirit and low cost of living with big-city culture, activities and resources. Home to nationally renowned public schools and other colleges and educational centers. Columbia is packed with restaurants, arts and entertainment venues and hosts more than a dozen annual cultural festivals. It sits midpoint between St. Louis and Kansas City.
This position is eligible for University benefits. The University offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental and vision plans, retirement, paid time off, and educational fee discounts. For additional information on University benefits, please visit the Faculty & Staff Benefits website at http://www.umsystem.edu/totalrewards/benefits
To learn more about the position, or to apply, you will need to visit the University of Missouri jobs portal at http://hrs.missouri.edu/find-a-job/staff/index.php. Click on “prospective employees.” Select position 23633 or search on the keyword “engagement.” To apply, you need to submit a cover letter, resume, professional references and completed online application.