Newsday, an award-winning news organization serving Long Island through its portfolio of print and digital products, is looking for a deputy editor to lead reporters in producing authoritative local municipal coverage.
At Newsday, we
- Break news continuously in a highly competitive environment
- Pursue watchdog work and smart beat enterprise
- Tell stories in new and different ways across our many digital and print products
The deputy editor will direct reporters to produce breaking news and enterprise stories from their beats and edit stories for digital and print. The successful candidate is a collaborator and motivator with strong journalistic and digital skills. This person will have outstanding news judgment, sharp line-editing skill and great story development skills, and will exhibit a sense of urgency in breaking news online and in print, and developing enterprise. A digital-first mindset combined with getting the story right is essential. This person must be able to communicate with managers and the copy desk, and provide feedback to reporters.
- Minimum 5-8 years’ relevant experience in newsgathering/newsroom environment
- Minimum 3 years’ experience supervising editorial teams generating content for print and multimedia
- Strong news judgment and a good sense of the trending topics that will resonate with our audience and enhance Newsday’s brand of trusted, local news and information
- Superior leadership skills with experience leading editorial teams
- Ability to focus on details of any given news story - reworking copy or writing headlines, but also be able to zoom out to plot broader strategy
- Excellent writing, editing and organizational skills
- Good understanding of social media video best practices on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Snapchat and Twitter
- Please submit a cover letter, resume and samples or links of your work
Newsday has received 19 Pulitzer Prizes and other prestigious awards for outstanding journalism. The newspaper is read by 2 out of 3 Long Island adults each week, and ranks in the top 10 of U.S. newspapers for combined print and digital daily circulation. Newsday and its popular website, newsday.com are part of Newsday Media Group, which also includes amNewYork, the nation's most widely circulated free daily serving New York City; and Star Community Publishing, one of the Northeast's largest groups of weekly shopper publications.
Equal Opportunity Employment m/f/d/v