tronc, Inc. (NASDAQ:TRNC) is a media company rooted in award-winning journalism. Headquartered in Chicago, tronc operates newsrooms in nine markets with titles including the Chicago Tribune, Los Angeles Times, The Baltimore Sun, Orlando Sentinel, South Florida's Sun-Sentinel, Newport News, Virginia’s Daily Press, Allentown, Pennsylvania's The Morning Call, Hartford Courant, and The San Diego Union-Tribune. Our legacy of brands has earned a combined 94 Pulitzer Prizes and is committed to informing, inspiring and engaging local communities.
Our brands create and distribute content across our media portfolio, offering integrated marketing, media, and business services to consumers and advertisers, including digital solutions and advertising opportunities.
At tronc we are growing product, data and engineering teams to power the future of digital news and promote quality journalism. We’re looking for a wide range of smart and talented engineers, experts in their field who can come in and teach us a thing or two. If you are a multitalented engineer with a thirst for more who can fit into our culture of collaboration, building and learning, we want to talk to you!
As a Newsroom Product Engineer you will represent technology in the Baltimore Sun's newsroom and collaborate with the editorial, marketing, advertising and sales groups as well as our product and engineering teams in LA and Chicago. You will solve for internal and end customer problems and scale those solutions to meet business objectives. The person in this role will have an opportunity to build cutting edge user experiences and work with teams defining the future evolution of digital media.
Things we are looking for:
- BA/BS degree in a technical field or equivalent practical experience
- 4 years development experience as a Software Engineer working on customer-facing systems
- A passion for… your favorite JS framework. Angular? React? Backbone? jQuery? Tell us why
- Grunt / Gulp, SASS / LESS
- Experience working with a variety of Content Management Systems and APIs
- Strong understanding of Git fundamentals
- Experience working with video and an understanding of the basics of ad systems
- Experience with data driven and testing based decision-making
- Smarts, humility, creativity, and equal willingness to teach and learn
Bonus points for…
- AWS (or other cloud services platform) experience
- NoSQL database and/or RDBMS experience