The Online News Association, the world’s largest membership organization for digital journalists, is seeking a creative, enthusiastic Communications Manager to join our terrific team in Washington, D.C. The ideal candidate will have strong writing and editing skills, experience leading communications and social media campaigns, a firm understanding of the digital media landscape and a passion for connecting people.
ONA, with its small, dynamic staff and Board of Directors composed of game-changing digital journalists, is leading the way for media in the digital age, and prides itself on innovation, collaboration and quick response to member needs. You’ll join a small but mighty team passionate about advancing innovative digital journalism.
The Communications Manager leads communications and social strategy for the organization and is a key contact for our highly-engaged community. You’ll work closely with ONA’s diverse and creative groups of digital journalists, editors and technologists, setting the tone for the organization, highlighting opportunities, sharing ONA’s messages, and connecting audiences to ONA’s events and training opportunities around the world.
Benefits: Paid medical, dental and vacation; 401K plan
Hours: Full-Time; partial remote schedule
Location: NPR’s Washington D.C. office and virtually
Reports to: Executive Director
Works closely with: Head of Programs and Events, Senior Digital Manager
Direct Report: None
You will create and execute communications and social campaigns, write press releases and marketing materials, lead email strategy and organize live coverage of ONA’s events. You’ll collaborate with all staff in developing ideas for community engagement, growth and support. ONA is a small team, so every member of the team is expected to be collaborative, flexible and supportive. While we’re generously housed at NPR’s HQ, our team often works from remote locations, so the ability to work and communicate using chat, email, phone and video conferencing is a must.
Communications campaigns and strategy
- Create and implement the communications strategies and messaging for membership, the public, partners and media.
- Manage the creation of media campaigns around initiatives, working with staff.
- Identify partners to expand ONA’s promotion, reach and attendance at our events.
- Work with Head of Partnerships on partner campaigns.
- Work with Community Manager on connecting journalists through the ONA Local program and promoting the work of ONA Local leaders to our national audience.
- Collect, analyze and apply metrics across all ONA communications platforms — press releases, emails, newsletters and social media.
- Collect and share media coverage of ONA initiatives.
- Contribute key metrics and analysis to our Executive Team and Board of Directors.
Writing / editing
- Write blog posts, press releases and emails to our community as they relate to our events, fellowships, grant-funded programs and other initiatives from ONA.
- Edit blog posts written by others on the team or external authors.
- Lead ONA Weekly newsletter design, content and messaging, reviewing for best practices.
- Write web content for various initiatives and work with Sr. Digital Manager to ensure appropriate content is promoted on web properties.
- Develop print materials specific to our events such as program guides, orientation books or other materials for attendees.
- Design and implement social media campaigns on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and emerging social platforms to grow engagement.
- Curate and generate content for social media platforms.
- Generate live coverage of ONA events which may include tweets, live blogs and/or live video.
- Create a regular publishing schedule for active social media outlets and share with staff.
- Provide social media analytics reports to track ROI and the success of all campaigns.
- Aggregate timely content on digital media issues.
- Serve as Social Media Chair for the annual conference, managing a team of 14 volunteers providing coverage throughout our 3-day event.
- Identify working partners to collaborate with on creative social media content.