RFE/RL is seeking a visual journalist to join the Central Newsroom’s digital unit. The candidate will bring stories from our broadcast region to life, through graphics, data, and/or code, whether the topic is breaking news, or a long-term package. S/he will create visual content such as news graphics, data visualizations, and microsites. The candidate will be expected to regularly pitch their own stories, relevant to RFE/RL’s broadcast region and mission. This is a hybrid editorial/design role, so the ideal candidate has a minimum of 2 years working on visual storytelling projects for digital news media organizations.
This position is located in Prague, Czech Republic and requires relocation. RFE/RL offers an attractive expatriate package with benefits, and relocation costs are fully covered.
• Create online visual content such as news graphics/videos, interactives, longform storytelling projects, and design elements for feature content.
• Works closely with writers, editors and other designers to create visual projects under tight deadlines.
• Be able to handle visual projects from pitch to publishing on RFE/RL’s digital platforms.
• Versed in social media best practices, such as appropriate sizes of visual content on Facebook, and Twitter.
• Stay current on latest digital storytelling methods.
• A portfolio that supports a minimum of 2 years of professional experience at a news organization in a visual journalism capacity.
• Educated in Graphic Design, Coding, Journalism or a related field (BA Bachelor degree desirable).
• Sharp editorial acumen, and attention to detail.
• Native-level English.
• Familiarity with current events and the news cycle in RFE/RL’s broadcast region.
• Highly motivated and well-organized with the ability to generate original ideas consistently.
• Excellent teamwork and the ability to multitask and prioritize with little supervision.
• Expertise in graphic design using programs such as Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.
• Experience publishing on social media platforms, especially on Facebook and Twitter.
• Experience with CMSes.
Nice to have, but not required:
1/ Front-end web development and data visualization skills utilizing:
• Static site generation, using build tools such as Gulp, Webpack or Grunt
• Responsive web design
• Visualization libraries such as D3
2/ Experience with motion graphics and video storytelling using tools such as Adobe After Effects.
3/ Fluency in another language from RFE/RL’s broadcast region.
Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFE/RL) is an international news organization based in Washington, D.C. and Prague, Czech Republic. RFE/RL's programs -- via radio, the Internet, and television -- reach influential people in 23 countries, including Afghanistan, Iran, Russia, the Caucasus, and Central Asian nations. RFE/RL's mission is to provide accurate and reliable news and information to domestic audiences in the local language. RFE/RL broadcasts in 26 languages and attracts more than 26 million weekly listeners and online visitors. With more than 400 journalists, 750 freelancers, and 17 local bureaus, RFE/RL is one of the most comprehensive news operations in the world. It is funded by the U.S. Congress through the Broadcasting Board of Governors (BBG).