NY1 has an exciting opportunity for an experienced investigative Senior Producer. This position is best suited for a utility person who is a self-starter, and skilled at multiple platforms. The Investigative Senior Producer will be responsible for pitching, researching, and producing compelling and enterprising investigative pieces We’re all about advocacy journalism and investigations that affect change and make a difference for our NY viewers. We are looking for an investigator who can seamlessly combine an expertise in computer assisted reporting skills and data-mining, with the ability to develop a wide network of human sources, plus a flair for compelling storytelling. You will have the opportunity to work on both long range investigations as well as quick turn investigations that deepen our coverage of the big story of the day. The ability to build out stories through creative and innovative use of social media is a must. You will be part of a larger long form development unit.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and maintain contacts and sources in the community to enterprise story ideas.
- Works closely with reporters, photographers and editors in production of stories
- Identifies and pitches investigative angles on big daily news stories as well as long-term enterprise stories that are highly promotable and will bring about change
- Maintain an active social media presence to build your brand and solicit original story ideas
- Familiarity with IRE best practices.
- Cultivates and works with outside organizations and sources to develop story ideas.
- Willingness to work overtime and weekends with short notice
- Must be able to write and produce engaging investigations
- Ability to produce network quality segments under tight deadlines
- Other duties as assigned, as deemed necessary
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of 6 + years of experience working in news gathering or news production
- Minimum of 3 years working as an investigative producer preferred
- Proven experience working with hidden cameras
- Ability to shoot and edit on Premier highly desired
- Familiarity with the local market is critical for success in this role
- Knowledge of the legal land mines pertaining to investigations and how to avoid them
- Strong knowledge of computer-assisted reporting, database, and spreadsheet programs
- A love of and passion for what you do as an investigator
- Must be able to provide a reel/portfolio of work examples
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably with an emphasis on journalism and/or communications