As restaurant critic, you’ll be the chief critical voice providing thoughtful perspective, insight, context and analysis of the Dallas dining scene. Your writing will be sophisticated, authoritative and provocative, and you will approach your storytelling with a digital-first mindset. You’ll also be responsible for conceiving, overseeing, managing and promoting The News’ annual food, wine and travel magazine — both in print and online.
Responsible for creating a compelling, thoughtful report that combines starred restaurant reviews; big-picture critic’s notebook-type essays; roundups; trend pieces and other stories. File starred reviews every other week, based on multiple visits to each restaurant, with multiple guests. Contribute two short, magazine-style briefs to Arts & Life every week. Write a best new restaurants of the year story at each year’s end.
- Work collaboratively with our photo team, arranging and assigning photo shoots or other art for each story.
- Design and produce the digital version of each review and story, adding photography, display copy, video and other digital media where appropriate.
- Take an active, creative, innovative approach to redefining the role and work of a restaurant critic in the digital age, with particular attention to digital story forms.
- Work with management to overhaul the star system and introduce changes to readers.
- Help maintain a Top 50 restaurants list.
- Take an active, creative, innovative approach — working with the digital producer — to promote the stories you write. That includes maintaining a robust and active social media presence, and staying on top of social media trends and best practices, along with understanding and evaluating your stories’ digital metrics.
- Represent and help raise the profile of The News in the community, participating in DMN-sponsored or other public events, including Savor Dallas food and wine festival.
- Manage a monthly dining budget.
- Assign and edit freelance restaurant reviews, when appropriate.
- Attend weekly departmental meetings and periodic newsroom digital skills training sessions.
- Schedule reviews and other major stories for publication, maintaining a running dining story schedule/budget to be shared with the GuideLive editor for online and the Guide editor for print. Work with the Guide print editor to identify possible dining-related Guide cover stories and schedule them for print.
- Conceive the annual Palate issue, then report, write and/or assign the stories.
- Work with the director of photography to assign photos throughout the book.
- Work with GateHouse (The News’ offsite design and production facility) and/or in-house designers and copy-editors on design and production.
- Manage the magazine’s editorial budget.
- Work with the digital producer to strategize, produce and promote digital version.
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- 3 years experience with Social Media
- Previous experience managing budgets