New Hampshire Public Radio seeks a producer/reporter to join its Creative Production Unit (CPU), a multi-media team that creates and distributes NHPR original programming and on-demand content. Candidates with a love of radio and a demonstrated ability to create compelling audio are encouraged to apply.
We are New Hampshire's independent and trusted source for news and information, and the state's largest radio news service. Based in Concord, the state's capital and political hub, NHPR's newsroom, digital team, and original programs consistently earn national recognition for their in-depth reporting and production. NHPR is the winner of the 2015 and 2017 national Edward R. Murrow Award for overall excellence.
Meet NHPR's Creative Unit
NHPR's Creative Production Unit is the place where innovative ideas percolate, emerging trends flourish, audiences engage, and great audio and journalism meet. The 8-person team of audio and digital producers and hosts work together to produce NHPR's local program Word of Mouth as well as the podcasts Outside/In, Civics 101, and 10-Minute Writer's Workshop. The CPU is an editorial, production, and digital resource for NHPR's newsroom and content makers, and supports special series and events for the station.
About the Job
As a producer/reporter on NHPR's Creative Production Unit, you will join the team at an exciting moment of transition for the station and the industry, and will have an opportunity to make a mark on NHPR as it develops new programs and future audiences. The producer/reporter plays an active role in every part of the production process: pitching story ideas; researching show topics; gathering tape; writing and reporting feature stories; editing and mixing audio; and participating in group edits. This position works closely with the executive and senior producers, fellow editors, and hosts, to make great audio on a daily basis. You will also collaborate with NHPR's Digital and News departments. The right candidate could come from any background in journalism or audio production: a beat reporter looking to get away from daily deadline work; a seasoned journalist seeking a position where they can put all of their skills and experiences to use; or an audio producer who is looking for opportunities to get out of the studio and into the field.
- Pitch ideas and research show topics
- Report feature stories and produce episodes for Outside/In and Word of Mouth.
- Produce segments for Civics 101: cut tape, write copy, select music, and mix audio
- Participate in group storyboards and edits
- Write and edit web posts
- When needed, participate in social media activities for Word of Mouth and Outside/In.
- Collaborate on special projects and series as appropriate, including election coverage, on-air fundraisers, and other remote broadcasts
- Other duties as assigned.
- Keen sensibility for seeking out compelling stories and topics and demonstrated ability to find unexpected sources
- Minimum of three years of experience in audio reporting or production, preferably in formats that include narrative-driven storytelling
- Passion and intuition for audio
- Demonstrated ability to deliver high quality work under deadline
- Strong writing skills, including web and radio copy
- Excellent editorial judgment and understanding of public radio core values
- Understanding of social media best practices
- B.A. in relevant field or equivalent experience.
NHPR is an equal opportunity employer.
Please apply on the job opportunities page of our website, NHPR.org or through this link: https://nhpr.applicantpro.com/jobs/