The University of Texas at Austin: Moody College of Communication: School of Journalism
Lecturer or Senior Lecturer – Data Journalism
The University of Texas at Austin School of Journalism seeks an experienced teacher with at least six years of professional newsroom experience as a data journalist to be appointed at either the rank of lecturer or senior lecturer, beginning Fall 2018. The School, which offers a B.J., M.A., and Ph.D., is housed in the Belo Center for New Media. It is part of the top-ranked Moody College of Communication, which includes the Stan Richards School of Advertising & Public Relations and the Departments of Radio-Television-Film, Communication Studies, and Communication Science and Disorders.
School of Journalism: https://journalism.utexas.edu/
Moody College of Communication: http://moody.utexas.edu/
Candidates should have the following:
- Teaching experience at the university level.
- A strong track record of creating and publishing data-driven news stories and interactives.
- A firm understanding of complex data concepts and the ability to explain them to others.
- Experience with a variety of data analysis and visualization tools and skillsets, from off-the-shelf programs to custom open-source code solutions.
- A firm understanding of statistical models and how to apply them in the news-gathering process.
- A firm understanding and established background in programming concepts used in news applications development.
- A firm understanding and established background in data analysis tools or libraries, such as Python pandas, R, SPSS or SAS.
Interested applicants should submit a letter of interest, current curriculum vitae, evidence of teaching effectiveness, and the names of three individuals to contact for letters of recommendation by visiting https://apply.interfolio.com/46805. Three confidential letters of recommendation will be requested of finalists. Screening of applicants will begin Jan. 22, 2018, and will continue until the position is filled. Applications must be made via Interfolio's ByCommittee solution. If you do not have a Dossier account with Interfolio, you will be prompted to create one prior to applying for the position. If you have questions about using Interfolio, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (877) 997-8807.
Questions can be directed to the chair of the search committee, R.B. Brenner, at email@example.com. The School of Journalism and the Moody College of Communication are committed to achieving diversity in its faculty, students, and curricula, and we welcome applicants who can help achieve these objectives. The University of Texas at Austin is a tobacco-free campus; for more information visit http://www.utexas.edu/tobaccofree/
The University of Texas at Austin, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/tkr27n9njv8ghb7j