All Turtles is a startup studio with teams developing practical AI products to solve everyday problems. Our first studio opened in June 2017 in San Francisco, and we’ve got teams working across the globe. We’re ambitious, with studios opening in Paris and Tokyo in 2018. Our studio staff numbers just over 20, with over 100 people affiliated with our studio companies and projects. Studio companies include Spot,
, Edwin, Disco, Leaders, Octane AI, Replika, and Sunflower Labs.
Sift is an early-stage product created at All Turtles. It’s an app that gives informed news readers the “why” behind the headlines. We cover contentious topics—such as health care reform, immigration reform, and US-North Korea relations—with substance, transparency, and objectivity. We make high quality sources accessible for everything we cover. Just a few minutes a day with Sift gets you out of your echo chamber, away from hyperbole, and prepared for more meaningful conversations about the news.
As editorial director, you’ll be a founding member of the Sift team and a partner in all we do. You’ll develop Sift’s editorial style, vision, processes, and team. You’ll set high quality standards, develop our editorial calendar, and shepherd content to publication. We’re looking for a visionary editor who is committed to innovation in the field. At the same time, you welcome the opportunity to write original content, and your experience demonstrates balanced, rigorous reporting.
This person will be responsible for:
- Hiring and managing an editorial team
- Setting up editorial processes and iterating on them
- Hands-on writing and research
- Close collaboration with product and brand design
- Speaking publicly about the product
The ideal candidate will have:
- Minimum 5 years experience as a journalist
- Experience managing multiple writers
- Experience writing and editing a variety of political topics
- Experience with in-depth research and data analysis
- Deep understanding of publishing processes and business models in news journalism
- An articulate communication style and executive presence
This position begins as a 3-month contract, ideally based in our San Francisco studio. The Sift Editorial Director reports to the Head of Product at All Turtles. To apply, write to firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume (or LinkedIn) and clips.
Location/Region: San Francisco/Bay Area