Newsday.com is looking for an experienced, creative Social Media Video Producer. This position writes and creates content and helps shape strategy for our Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, YouTube and overall social media platforms, with a focus on producing video content for those verticals.
The ideal candidate is a sharp, hardworking and flexible journalist who lives and breathes social media 24/7.
Essential Duties & Functions
- Independently write posts that go out live to nearly 1 million followers on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. The candidate must ensure that the posts reflect the voice and mission of Newsday.
- Brainstorm, draft and implement strategies to guide our social media efforts.
- Lead social media video coverage by brainstorming ideas and producing innovative and engaging video content for all social media platforms, on such topics as food, Long Island activities, etc. This includes live videos on Facebook and Instagram, which are done independently and with no editing.
- Plan social-first editorial strategies, as well as custom content for visual platforms like Facebook videos and Instagram.
- Conduct interviews on camera and serve as a on air personality.
- Create graphics, including lower thirds, for videos.
- Work with reporters and video team to create long- and short-form content.
- Train and work closely with reporters and guide them through shoots in the field.
- Establish and share best practices across the organization on how to optimize video content across social platforms.
- Edit and cut Newsday videos for our various social media platforms.
- Collaborate on story planning and pitch process.
- Find new technology and processes to increase efficiency and improve overall video quality.
- Develop and carry out a video strategy for YouTube.
- Run breaking news events across social media, including live tweeting and Facebook Live.
- Analyze metrics and draft reports that will be sent to departments throughout the newsroom.
- Stay up to date on the latest social media announcements and emerging technologies, with an emphasis on video.
- Build and maintain relationships with other websites and serve as a conduit for ideas.
Essential Job Knowledge & Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, mass communications or related field.
- Previous experience in social media and a newsroom setting.
- Experience producing and editing videos in programs, such as Adobe Premiere.
- The ability to work independently.
- Good understanding/knowledge of community-building and newsgathering on social media sites/blogs.
- Comfortable being on camera.
- Solid copy-editing and sharp writing skills to engage our audience.
- Understanding of and responsiveness to our Long Island audience
- Strong analytical skills to respond to data in real time and guide our social media strategy.
- Flexibility to work various shifts.
- Reliable transportation to and from our Melville, Long Island office.
Newsday Media Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains a drug-free and smoke-free workplace.
Location/Region: Melville, NY