Demand for Education Resource Strategies (ERS) publications and tools is growing rapidly, increasing our opportunities to contribute to national and local conversations on education reform. Therefore, we are seeking a highly qualified Communications Specialist who has great writing and proofreading skills, including the ability to quickly summarize complex material in short, accessible formats, an eye for design, and a creative approach to distributing our work.
The Communications Specialist will have the opportunity to work with a high performing communications and partnerships team, supporting a wide range of ongoing communications activities including but not limited to writing, editing, managing graphic design vendors, and social media. This position is a unique opportunity to be part of a growing, collaborative organization that is driving transformational change in public education. ERS has a strong professional learning community. As such, we place teamwork, initiative, and a desire to learn and grow at a premium.
This is a permanent, full-time position in our Watertown, MA office. The main areas of responsibility include:
- Proofread and edit white papers, issue briefs and publications, looking for consistency, clarity and accuracy
- Support teams in the process of writing, revising, editing and designing publications
- Liaise with graphic designer and printer for publications
- Write grant proposals and reports, as needed
Distribution & promotion
- Draft and create layout for monthly email newsletter
- Regularly create content for social media platforms
- Support distribution efforts through research and planning
- Update and support use of ERS templates (Word, PPT, etc.)
- Take basic video and photos at ERS events, and organize collection of photos from the field
- Advanced writing and proofreading skills, including ability to quickly summarize complex material into short, accessible formats
- Sharp design eye; can work with graphic design vendors to ensure that materials are visually interesting and clear to the audience
- User experience mindset; ability to consider content from multiple perspectives
- Creative thinker, especially in the realm of distribution strategies
- Customer service and solutions-oriented
- Ability to take direction and escalate challenges, as needed
- Quick learner for both skills and content
- Professional communications skills to act as a liaison to outside vendors.
- Strong interpersonal skills, positive attitude, and ability to work well in a team environment
- Highly self-motivated and willing to proactively take on additional responsibilities as needed
- Must have strong organizational skills, be detail-oriented, flexible, and able to prioritize and handle multiple, deadline-driven tasks effectively and efficiently
- Demonstrated passion for and commitment to ERS’ mission exemplified through professional background or community involvement
- Bachelor’s degree required
ERS is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, ancestry, pregnancy, or military service.
We value diverse teams and the unique talents each member brings. In that light, we encourage candidates that have life experiences similar to those of the children, teachers, and leaders in the districts we serve to apply. The value we place on diverse teams is mirrored by our commitments to foster and sustain an inclusive culture. We regularly evaluate our organization's processes and policies through the lens of equity and inclusion, and we provide opportunities for individual and organizational learning about equity, inclusion, and diversity.
We view these commitments as essential to our work with each other and our district partners, as we seek to drive equity and excellence for all students through school system transformation.
Location/Region: Watertown, MA (Boston-Metro Area)